Saturday, February 26, 2011

home sweet home is now

People walking, Gandan Monastery. ©Owner this blog
That day I left Gandan in 2007 it was chilly. Minus 43 degrees to be exact. I began study there as a Buddhist monk. In fact I still study and keep my own dharma materials with me. I place some pictures here.

Of course if China knew about my connection they would make it diffucult; for example I have very much avoided falun da people - in fact I have found them to be lacking in the essence of real Buddhism.

There is a time and place for everything.


The beauty of the empire of Chingis Xaan was something to behold; we learn of it only today in echoes and imagery from the past. This year, 2011 - is the 803 anniversary of Chingis Xaan's birth. There was TOLERANCE in the greatest empire the world has ever known:

temple beside synagogue beside mosque beside shrine.

All beliefs were allowed to exist as part of the requirement for being in Chingis' firmament. He took over China, for example.  Coleridge Taylor's famous poem "In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure dome decree..."    refers to  the largest city in the world. Do you know the answer to the question for today?

QUESTION OF THE DAY: WHAT IS THE LARGEST CITY IN THE WORLD?

ANSWER: Chongqing China  PRC.

Population >30 million.

Zuun Naran treet, at entrance to Gandan Monastery.©  
And a while back, the Xaan's kingdom extended over China. Of course many know that the reason the "Great Wall" was constructed was for protection from the invading throngs. Qongqing City ~ Qong Qing De = approximately Xong Na De = approximately Xanadu.

To the right, part of the little wall that separates Gandan form the neighboring GERs / yurts and dwellings in Ulan Bataar. I am slated to return to study this year, and look forward to warmer climes there in summer months. But come 19 September each year give or take, snow falls and pretty much does not leave as snow pack under foot.

Environs about the Gandan Monastery, Ulan Bataar © Owner this blog
Wherever I am is home. Now is home. Paradox, ambiguity, perhaps; I already blogged about the ambiguity thing.

But... time is so short, to do awakening and then dwell still in the world is just a momentary thing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment